Mandatory safety checks essential

News 09 May 2019

Electrical Safety First has weighed in on mandatory electrical safety checks in the public rented sector.

Phil Buckle, chief executive at Electrical Safety First, commented: “The government’s decision to commit to introducing mandatory electrical safety checks in the private rented sector – after years of campaigning by Electrical Safety First – was a welcome step in improving the safety of private tenants in England. The recent, tragic death of Professor Alliston, who died of electrocution in the garden of his rented property, illustrates the importance of this essential safety requirement.

“Electrical Safety First is extremely concerned the government has not yet provided a time-scale to implement these checks, particularly since it announced its intention of doing so last year.

“It is essential the government provides clarity in relation to electrical inspections in the private rented sector, both in terms of timeline and how these inspections will be enforced.

“We also want to emphasise the importance of ensuring that the enforcement body is funded sufficiently to undertake its work effectively and the importance of using a competent, qualified and registered electrician to undertake such checks.”

For Advice on Electrical Safety,Electrical Testing or Electrical Compliance Please Call Electrical Test Midlands Ltd on 01922 710014 or email or visit our website

fire killed two pensioners

A company which runs a care home where a fire killed two pensioners has been fined for fire safety offences.

Ivy Spriggs, 91, and Daphne Holloway, 88, died in a blaze at Newgrange Care Home in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, on 8 April 2017.

Newgrange of Cheshunt Ltd runs the home and admitted five charges of failing to comply with fire safety legislation.

The company was fined £175,000 and will have to pay some prosecution costs.


Cheshunt care home fire

A company which runs a care home where a fire killed two pensioners has been fined for fire safety offences.

Ivy Spriggs, 91, and Daphne Holloway, 88, died in a blaze at Newgrange Care Home in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, on 8 April 2017.

Newgrange of Cheshunt Ltd runs the home and admitted five charges of failing to comply with fire safety legislation.

The company was fined £175,000 and will have to pay some prosecution costs.

Some 33 residents were rescued, three of whom needed hospital treatment for burns and the effects of breathing in smoke.

 The cause of the fire was found to be from an electrical fault which spread to the roof.

Ivy Spriggs
                                 Ivy Spriggs, 91, died in the fire which ripped through the home in the early hours of 8 April 2017

Speaking after the sentencing at St Albans Crown Court, Hertfordshire’s chief fire officer Darryl Keen said: “This incident highlights the need for all business owners to ensure they fully comply with fire safety legislation.

“If enough competent staff had been present and properly trained to carry out long-established and recognised guidance on evacuations in a care home I am sure that a full evacuation would have been started long before our arrival.


Cheshunt care home fire


“Evacuation of a care home is a difficult task and needs to be properly considered and practised so that everyone can escape unharmed.”

The fire service has since undertaken further inspections of the county’s care homes, according to a spokesman for Hertfordshire County Council, which runs the fire service.

The council said the amount of prosecution costs the company will have to pay is to be negotiated.

  • BBC NEWS .8 May 2019

        For more advice on electrical safety and electrical compliance please call Electrical Test Midlands Ltd on 01922 7100104 or email                                                                                                              


Lone Working Needs Sensible Risk Assessment

According to online statistics website, Statista, there were 265,000 electricians working in the UK in 2017 and whilst the numbers weren’t so readily available, it would not be unreasonable to presume that many of them carry out what is referred to as “lone working” as a significant part of their daily work. This includes those employed or self-employed.

Since 2015, certain self-employed persons have been exempted from health and safety law.  This is strictly limited to those whose work activities pose no potential risk of harm to others.  Clearly work on electrical systems cannot be described as non-hazardous.

Lone working isn’t against the law, but it is essential that you take sensible precautions if you are going to be working alone.

Lone Working Needs Sensible Risk Assessment When deciding if it is appropriate for employees to work alone, employers need to consider if the working environment presents any significant hazard and if access presents additional risks.

Before carrying out work at someone else’s premises it is important to understand the risks inherent with the work and the location.

If they are commercial premises, there must be a record of any asbestos containing materials on the premises and workers should acquaint themselves with this before starting work.

The Control of Asbestos Regulations also require electricians to have attended formal Lone Working Needs Sensible Risk Assessment asbestos awareness training.  It is important that when you chose a training provider, that they be able to demonstrate competence.  AT THSP we currently have seven trainers, all approved by UKATA to deliver this training and with a passion for ensuring that operatives are no longer exposed to the life-threatening risks associated with disturbing asbestos.

Whilst an employer may have drawn up a generic risk assessment for the tasks being undertaken, it is essential that the engineer has been trained to spot any additional hazards and knows what steps to take.  Some hazards can be easily addressed and controlled, however others will need to be referred to a line manager or other competent person.  The Risk Assessment Builder developed by THSP is an intuitive and interactive programme allowing employers to produce site specific risk assessments in a fraction of the time it would take from scratch.  Furthermore, due to the extensive data supporting the tool, users can generate over 10 million different outcomes.  These assessments can be accessed online by employees along with an online briefing to demonstrate that they have received this vital information.

Current advice from HSE is that there are some high-risk activities where at least one other person may need to be present. Examples include:

  • working in a confined space;
  • working at or near exposed live electricity conductors; or
  • health and social care work dealing with unpredictable client behaviour and situations.

Risk assessments and the need to make sure they are suitable and sufficient remains a thorny issue for many employers.  Some Lone Working Needs Sensible Risk Assessment companies rely heavily on libraries of generic assessments, drawn together over the years, or downloaded from remote websites or even “borrowed” from other employers.  This can give “the illusion of control” and where they are clearly irrelevant, encourage employees to disregard them.

How much supervision is needed should be determined in your risk assessment, the higher the risk, the greater the level of supervision required. It should not be left to the individual lone worker to decide if they need help.

Your risk assessment should identify the possibility of an emergency arising and set out clear procedures to be followed.  A first aid kit may be necessary as well as formal training.

Lastly you will need to put in place monitoring and communication arrangements.  This could be:

  • Periodic visits by supervisors;
  • Regular contact by phones, radios or email;
  • manually operated or automatic warning devices; and
  • A robust system ensuring lone workers have returned home safely.

Whatever you do, it is important to ensure that not only do lone workers have the skills, experience, knowledge and training to enable them to work safely, but that those managing them understand their responsibilities.

For more information on working safely or electrical compliance please phone Electrical Test Midlands Ltd  on 01922 710014

Periodic Electrical Inspection & Testing Frequencies


Why Do We Need To Test?

There are various factors that can lead to an electrical installation to degrade over time.


Electrical accessories such as light switches and socket outlets can sustain damage through use or even misuse, cables may deteriorate and if not installed correctly may sustain damage too also with connections possibly becoming loose.


The type of site, electrical installation and use of the premises all play a part in the deterioration of the electrical system. Along with issues like external influences (rain/snow/ice), extreme heat and possibly exposure to chemicals, one area that often effects the safety of electrical installations is the maintenance, or in many cases, the lack of maintenance.


Testing Provides Preventative Maintenance


As business continuity is an important factor for most businesses, finding a fault before it’s becomes a problem is key to business success.


This will to only save you time and money but may well also save lives too.


Electrical Test Midlands can help you, and your business comply with the many aspects of electrical compliance, from Fixed Wire and Portable Appliance Testing and thermal imaging.


Periodic Electrical Inspection & Testing Frequencies

Commercial Premises: 5 yrs (or at change of occupancy)

Offices: 5 Years

Shops: 5 Years

Cinemas: 1-3 Years (Licensing rules may determine the frequency)

Schools/Colleges: 5 Years

Churches: 5 Years

Marinas: 1 Year

Leisure Center (excluding Pools): 3 Years

Restaurants/Pubs: 5 Years

Hotels: 5 Years

Theaters: 3 Years

Community Centers: 5 Years

Swimming Pools: 1 Year

Caravans/ Caravan Parks: 1 Year